Knowi’s report scheduling features allow you to schedule dashboard exports as a PDF and/or CSV attachment and sent to you directly via Email, Webhook, or Slack. Say you have a frequently used dashboard that tracks daily KPI metrics. You can schedule an email report to have it delivered as a PDF and/or CSV directly to you and your team’s inbox daily.
- Navigating to Scheduled Reports
- Setting up a Scheduled Report
- Email Reports
- Webhook Reports
- Slack Reports
- Unscheduled PDF Export of Dashboard
Navigating to Scheduled Reports
There are two ways to navigate to the Reports screen from any dashboard:
From the Left Side Bar:
- Click Reports
- Click New Report +
- This takes you to the Report Options window
From the Dashboard:
- Click Share and Email Options icon (top right)
- Choose the Email tab
- Click Schedule Email Reports
- This takes you directly to the Report Options window
Setting up a Scheduled Report
These are the initial steps to setting up a scheduled report. This portion of the process applies to Email, Webhook, and Slack Reports. Proceeding sections will outline specific steps to set up each of the three report types.
To create a Scheduled Report:
- Navigate to the Report Options Screen following the steps from the Navigating to Scheduled Reports section above
- Give your Report a name. This is how it will be displayed in the Reports screen
- In the Dashboards dropdown, select the dashboard(s) you wish to to send in the report
- (Optional) To include a CSV attachment, click Add CSV Attachment. This will show additional options
- Give the attachment a Name it will be displayed as
- In the Dataset dropdown, select a dataset you wish to attach as CSV
- (Optional) In the Cloud9QL Query editor, enter additional C9QL to transform the data
- In the Report As dropdown, select the Knowi user the report will be executed by (available to Admin users only - allows the report to be run with lower privileges)
- (Optional) In the Filters section, enter any User Content Filters that you wish to enforce. This ensures only data applicable to the recipient(s) is contained in the report.
- In the Run every section, specify the schedule the report will be sent on
Email Reports allow you to attach a PDF and/or CSV attachment of a dashboard(s) to an email. The email can be scheduled to be sent at a chosen interval to a single or multiple recipients.
Follow the steps below to create an Email Report after completing the steps in the Setting up a Scheduled Report section.
To Create an Email Report:
- Under Report Actions, select Send Email
- Enter the Email Subject that will be displayed
- In the Email From section, enter the email address that the email will be sent from. This address will appear as the sender of the email when received in your inbox
- Enter the email address of the recipient(s). Comma separated for multiple recipients
- (Optional) Write custom HTML to customize the email template
Below is an example of how a common setup looks like and the actual email received in a specified account:
Webhook Reports allow you to attach a PDF and/or CSV attachment of a dashboard(s) and send to the endpoint of your own application. The endpoint should be able to accept multipart form data as the results are sent separately as files of different content.
content-type of application/pdf for dashboard results;
The following service provides you with free functional testing and validation facilities of the structure and content of the requests that'll be sent to your real endpoints.
Follow the steps below to create a Webhook Report after completing the steps in the Setting up a Scheduled Report section.
To Create a Webhook Report:
- Under Report Actions, select Webhook
- Click + Add Webhook to open the Add Webhook window
- Under URL to Invoke, enter the endpoint in your application to invoke that can accept a POST request with JSON (array of objects)
- Under Headers, enter any optional authentication related headers. One Header per line.
- Under Authentication URL, enter the authentication endpoint to get a token, which can be passed into each subsequent query. Only required if the API requires it. This is an absolute URL.
- Under Auth Headers, enter any optional authentication related headers. One Header per line.
Reference code sample here.
Below is an example of how the common setup looks like and the requests that are actually sent to the specified url:
Slack Reports allow you to attach a PDF and/or CSV attachment of a dashboard(s) to a list of public channels on your team’s Slack workspace including an alert message.
Follow the steps below to create a Slack Report after completing the steps in the Setting up a Scheduled Report section.
To Create a Slack Report:
- Under Report Actions, select Slack
- Click + Add Slack to open the Add Slack window
- Under Alert Name, give your alert a name that it will be displayed as
- Under Alert Message, enter a user-defined alert message that will post to Slack. Leaving blank will post a default message
- In the Alert Channels dropdown, select the Slack channel(s) the alert notification and report will be published to
Below is an example of how the common setup looks like and the results that are actually sent and published to the specified Slack channel(s):
Unscheduled PDF Export of Dashboard
Of course, you don’t have to create a schedule to export a dashboard. A user can export a dashboard at any time.
To export a dashboard to PDF:
- Open the dashboard you wish to export
- Navigate to the top right corner menu and click the Share icon
- In the Share and Email Options window, select the PDF tab
- (Optional) Change the width/height of the PDF export
- (Optional) Check the Exclude grid widgets from PDF export box to exclude any Data Grid visualization type widget from the export
- Click Save to save your settings
- Click the Export as PDF button to begin exporting