Analyze option is available on all widgets inside a dashboard from the settings menu. This opens up the widget in ad hoc mode, with a data grid at the bottom, the widget on the top right and (visualization) settings on the left. Ad hoc analysis is driven by the bottom grid, which has two key areas:
- List of fields on the left-hand side of the grid
- The grid header section includes:
- i. Fields/Metrics: Fields that will be displayed on the grid
- ii. Grouping/Dimensions: Field(s) to segmentation the data by
- iii. Filters: To add a filter to the section.
- iv. Sort: Field Sorting
Drag and Drop a field into one of the header sections. A drop down menu will be shown upon the drop that you can use to optionally use to rename and apply any functions/aggregations on the data applicable.
To save an analysis, use the save menu save to the same widget, or clone to a new widget, which will create a new visualization based on analysis.
Ad hoc analytics can be applied during the data plumbing/query phase. Upon a query preview, use the ad hoc grid to drive the analysis, including nested elements. This will be saved as part of the query. See the example below.